Here is a recipe for fish tacos using fried fish. It’s not the healthiest since the fish is fried, but it is topped with coleslaw that is made with a non-mayo dressing. I’ve been weaning myself off of mayonnaise and haven’t had any in months. I got the coleslaw dressing recipe from cooks.com. It is an Apple-Thyme Coleslaw Dressing. Honestly, it was just OK. I think I would have preferred a little more sweetness to the tanginess so that it is more sweet and sour.
- Fish of your choice – already filetted
- Corn Tortillas
- Coleslaw mix in the bag or make your own with 1/2 cabbage and 1 large carrot
- Coleslaw dressing or make your own using the Apple-Thyme Coleslaw Dressing or any other recipe of your choice
1. Bread and fry the fish.
2. If you buy coleslaw mix and dressing, mix them up and set aside.
3. If you opt to make your own coleslaw, shred the cabbage and carrot and mix together in a bowl.
4. If you opt to make your own coleslaw dressing, follow the instructions on the recipe and mix into cabbage/carrot mixture.
5. Warm tortillas in a medium hot pan.
6. Assemble fish and coleslaw in tortilla and enjoy!
- Vegetarian and Vegan version: Use fried tofu cubes in place of fish
- Because the dressing wasn’t exactly as I had anticipated, I added hot sauce to the fish and topped off the tacos with cilantro.
Let me know if you try it and how you like it. Or, if you have other healthy coleslaw dressing alternatives, let me know!