I feel kind of funny posting a salad recipe because to me, a salad is so easy it doesn’t require a recipe. But salads are my specialty. And my mom would say that just because it comes easy to you, that doesn’t make it true for someone else. I can whip up any kind based on whatever is in the fridge. Side salad, fruit salad, pasta salad, main course salad, you name it! Some people think a salad is iceberg lettuce and some vegetables. Well, that is one kind of salad but a salad can be so much more! Once you realize the many types and combinations of salads you can make, you may start to eat more. I love salads!
(I will list what I used and in parenthesis give you alternate options. The great thing about salads is that you can mix and match as you choose.)
- Mixed lettuce greens (You can also use Romaine, Green leaf or Butter lettuce)
- Blueberries (Strawberries can also be used)
- Sunflower Seeds (Any seed will do. You can try pumpkin seeds.)
- Herbed Goat Cheese (You can use Feta cheese or Blue cheese instead)
- I didn’t use them but dried cranberries or raisins will work well too.
- A raspberry vinaigrette complements this nicely but use whatever you like or nothing at all.
- I won’t insult your intelligence by putting the directions. But, I’ll give you a tip if you want to serve it at a function.
- Set aside a handful of each of the toppings (berries, nuts, seeds, cheese).
- Mix your lettuce and remaining toppings in a bowl so that everything is integrated. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- In the serving bowl, carefully arrange the berries, nuts and cheese so that they are presentable and people know exactly what’s in the salad. It will also look picture worthy!